History of OAMRS
It began in 1895 with Wilhelm Roentgen’s discovery of X-Rays and their medical use quickly gained acceptance. As the role of the Technologist evolved, a need to establish standards, set up a training program, and to share knowledge, became apparent.
Our Provincial Association was formed in February 1935 with the full backing of the Ontario Medical Association. At that time, it was called the Ontario Society of Radiological Technicians (OSRT). The first Annual General Meeting and Conference was held at the King Edward Hotel in Toronto with an original Membership of 14 under the presidency of Jack Coones. For more than 50 years, the tradition has continued with the site of our Annual General Meeting and Conference rotating throughout the province.
It was through discussions initiated by the Ontario Technologists that lead to the founding in 1942, of the Canadian Society of Radiological Technicians. Now known as the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT).
As the profession continued to evolve and grow the OSRT became the Ontario Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (OAMRT) in 1984.
In order to advance inter-professional collaboration and integrated patient care, OAMRS was created in September 2012 through the merger of the Ontario Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (OSDMS) and the Ontario Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (OAMRT).
Today, OAMRS is the recognized advocate and voice for Medical Radiation Technologists and Diagnostic Medical Sonographers across the province. In addition, the association provides professional support and services for our members through benefits, discount programs, PLI, volunteer opportunities, networking and a full curriculum of education opportunities including corporate training, postgraduate online courses, and face-to-face programs.