During Pride Month, we are happy to offer this course for FREE to OAMRS members. Non-members will receive it for a discounted rate of $16.50. Promotion will be automatically applied at checkout until 11:59pm ET, June 30th, 2022.
The OAMRS Communication Strategies for a Gender Diverse Community course will provide an overview of the current gender landscape and identify how we can best ensure that patients feel comfortable in our care. Transgender and non-binary patients require the same amount of respect and kindness we give all patients.
The course includes practical tips and strategies that will help MRTs and DMSs create a gender-friendly environment, while still being able to conduct our exams in the safest way – respecting "as low as reasonably achievable (ALARA)" and sensitive ultrasound procedures.
Course at a Glance
Learning Hours: The course takes approximately 2.5 hours to complete. OAMRS courses are designed for self-paced learning. Rough estimates of the time required to complete the course may be provided, but we encourage each learner to invest their own time, based on their own learning needs, for each subject matter.
Available Until: December 31, 2022
Type of Learning: Online
Accreditation: Certificate of Completion
Completion Requirement: The exam for this course is composed of 10 questions. In order to successfully pass the exam, you are required to attain a mark of 75%. Three attempts are allowed.
Who Should Take This Course
This course is designed for the MRT or DMS who wishes to be able to apply communication strategies that serve to improve patient care within the LGBTQ+ community.
On completion of this course the learner will be able to apply communication strategies that serve to improve patient care within the LGBTQ+ community.
- Define the terms gender identity, gender expression, biological sex and sexual orientation
- Identify the factors that contribute to the disparity in healthcare seen between patients in the gender diverse community (GDC) and the rest of population
- Apply strategies to improve communication between healthcare providers and GDC
The course includes:
- Course Syllabus
- Narrated PowerPoint
- Required Reading - Improving Healthcare for Transgender Patients in Diagnostic Imaging Departments
- Required Reading - Example Dialogues for the GDC
- Required Reading - Communicating with Patients; What you must know about…
- Final Exam
- Virginia Sanders, MSc, MRT(R)
- Sidsel Pedersen, MRT(R)
- Ontario Association of Medical Radiation Sciences
Discounted member price:
You could save: